Pages

Monday, May 2, 2016

Point Internal Links To Relevant Pages


I link to relevant internal pages in my site when necessary.
I silo any relevance or trust mainly via links in text content and secondary menu systems and between pages that are relevant in context to one another.
I don’t worry about perfect silo’ing techniques anymore, and don’t worry about whether or not I should link to one category from another as I think the ‘boost’ many proclaim is minimal on the size of sites I usually manage.
I do not obsess about site architecture as much as I used to…. but I always ensure my pages I want to be indexed are all available from a crawl from the home page – and I still emphasise important pages by linking to them where relevant. I always aim to get THE most important exact match anchor text pointing to the page from internal links – but I avoid abusing internals and avoid overtly manipulative internal links that are not grammatically correct, for instance..
There’s no set method I find works for every site, other than to link to related internal pages often without overdoing it and where appropriate.
What Are SERP Sitelinks?
When Google knows enough about the history or relationships of a website (or web page), it will sometimes display what are called site links (or mega site links) under the url of the website in question.
This results in an enhanced search snippet in SERPs.
This is normally triggered when Google is confident this is the site you are looking for, based on the search terms you used.
Sitelinks are usually reserved for navigational queries with a heavy brand bias, a brand name or a company name, for instance, or the website address.
I’ve tracked the evolution of Google site links in organic listings over the years, and they are seemly picked based on a number of factors.
How To Get Google Sitelinks?
Pages that feature in site links are often popular pages on your site, in terms of internal or external links, or user experience or even recent posts that may have been published on your blog.
Google likes to seem to mix this up a lot, perhaps to offer some variety, and probably to obfuscate results to minimise or discourage manipulation.
Sometimes it returns pages that leave me scratching my head as to why Google selected a particular page appears.
If you don’t HAVE site links, have a bit of patience and focus on other areas of your web marketing, like adding more content, get some PR or social activity focussed on the site.
Google WILL give you site links on some terms; ONCE Google is confident your site is the destination users want.
That could be a week or months, but the more popular the site is, the more likely Google will catch up fast.
Sitelinks are not something can be switched on or off, although you can control to some degree the pages are selected as site links. You can do that in Google Webmaster Tools AKA Search Console.
Article published on http://www.hobo-web.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment